Lieutenant General Osama Askar, Egypt s new Chief of Staff of the Egyptian Armed Forces. File photo
Askar succeeds Lieutenant-General Mohamed Farid, who was appointed by the president as a presidential adviser for the national ‘Decent Life’ (Haya Karima) initiative.
Who is Osama Askar?
- Osama Ahmed Rushdy Abdallah Askar was born in 1957 in Dakahliya governorate.
- He graduated from the 70th class of the Military Academy.
- He earned a Master’s in Military Sciences and the fellowship of the Nasser Higher Military Academy.
- He assumed several leading positions in the army’s infantry division and commanded a mechanised infantry brigade.
- Askar also commanded the operations branch at the Military Operations Authority.
- He served as commander of the Third Field Army.
- He served earlier as the Chief of Staff of the Third Field Army.
- In January 2015, El-Sisi promoted Askar to the Lieutenant-General rank.
- He served as the commander of east of the Suez Canal and counterterrorism.
- He served as the assistant to the General Commander of the Armed Forces for Sinai Development Affairs.