An overturned barrier at the scene of Monday s tragic crush at Yaounde s Olembe stadium (AFP)
AFP Sport highlights some of the worst:
May 23, 1964
- 320 people were killed and more than 1,000 injured during a stampede at a Peru-Argentina Olympic qualifier at Lima's National Stadium. Fans could not escape the crush and were trampled or asphyxiated.
October 20, 1982
- Mystery still surrounds the total number who died at the end of a UEFA Cup match between Spartak Moscow and Dutch side Haarlem at the Luzniki Stadium resulting from a crush on a stairwell. Officially it remains at 66 -- 45 of them teenagers -- but according to daily newspaper Sovietski sport the numbers are far higher at 340.
May 10, 2001
- 126 people died in Accra at the end of a match between Hearts of Oaks and Kumasi, when Kumasi supporters, angered by their team's defeat, threw projectiles and broke chairs. Police threw tear-gas grenades, triggering a stampede.
April 15, 1989
- A crush in the stands at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough Stadium led to the deaths of 97 Liverpool fans during an FA Cup semi-final with Nottingham Forest.
- May 11, 1985 - 56 people were killed when a blaze broke out in wooden stands during a match between Bradford and Lincoln City.
October 16, 1996
- Around 80 spectators lost their lives due to being crushed by fans piling into a stand at the Mateo Flores National Stadium for the 1998 World Cup qualifier between Guatemala and Costa Rica.
January 2, 1971
- 66 people were killed in a crush at the Ibrox Stadium during a Rangers-Celtic derby. It was the stadium's second disaster, after a stand collapsed in 1902, killing 26 people.
February 1, 2012
- The Port Said stadium tragedy in Egypt when 74 people died after clashes between rival sets of supporters of local club Al-Masry and Cairo-based Al-Ahly.
- February 17, 1974 - 48 people died and 47 were injured when 80,000 people crammed into a stadium with a capacity of 40,000.
April 11, 2001
- 43 people died during a stampede at Ellis Park stadium in Johannesburg during a match between the Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs.
- January 13, 1991 - 40 deaths during a melee in an Orlando Pirates-Kaizer Chiefs match.
29 May, 1985
- 39 killed at Heysel Stadium in Brussels when Juventus fans tried to flee Liverpool fans.
May 5, 1992
- 18 people were killed and more than 2,300 injured when a terrace collapsed in Furiani stadium in Corsica.
(For more sports news and updates, follow Ahram Online Sports on Twitter at @AO_Sports and on Facebook at AhramOnlineSports.)