File photo showing soldiers from the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Mali, MINUSMA, a day after suicide bombers, in a vehicle painted with U.N. markings, attacked an international peacekeeping injuring several troops and civilians, July 24, 2019. AFP
The deadly attack comes just days after the renewal of the mandate of the U.N. Mission to Mali, known as MINUSMA.
"This morning, an armored vehicle of a MINUSMA logistics convoy hit a mine on the Tessalit-Gao road,'' the mission announced in a press release.
"According to an initial report, two peacekeepers died of their injuries and five others were seriously wounded as a result of the attack,'' the statement added.
"The victims are all Egyptian nationals,'' a U.N. official told The Associated Press, insisting on anonymity because he is not allowed to speak to the press until the U.N. informs the families.
Ten U.N. peacekeepers have been killed in Mali since the beginning of the year.
First deployed in 2013, the mandate of the U.N. mission in Mali to help battle against Islamic extremist rebels was renewed last week although the Malian government said it will not support the mission's aim to promote and safeguard human rights.
Russia and China abstained from the French-drafted U.N. resolution, which extends the mandate of the mission until June 30, 2023, with its current ceiling of 13,289 military personnel and 1,920 international police.
More than 270 peacekeepers have died in Mali, making it the U.N.'s deadliest peacekeeping mission, according to U.N. officials.